The Mercer County Library System periodically accepts donations of books and media materials in good condition from the public, reserving the right to reject a donated item for any reason. All donations are subject to the following provisions:
- Donations become the sole property of the Mercer County Library System.
- The library is under no obligation to add a donated item to the collection or to notify the donor of the disposition of that item.
- The library system reserves the right to decide the best means of dispersing donated materials and equipment.
- Donations may be added to the collection at the discretion of designated members of the staff, sold by local friends of the library groups or discarded.
- Materials that are mildewed, wet, smell strongly of odor, or damaged are not accepted for donation at any branch.
- Only new textbooks are accepted.
- Magazines are not generally accepted, unless specific arrangements have been made with the Branch Manager prior to donation.
In response to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 and in accordance with the advisement of the federal and state governmental safety recommendations, anonymous donations will not be accepted at any location and will be discarded. Please present donations at the desk. Patrons may be asked to present identification when dropping off donations.
At a patron's request, a receipt stating the number of items will be provided. As per the IRS tax laws, the library staff cannot assign a monetary value to donations.