All patrons are expected to observe and maintain a standard of acceptable behavior, as set forth below and to respect the rights of other patrons and library staff.
The following behaviors are not permitted in the library and are set forth as reasonable rules and regulations for patron conduct:
- Food and drink are not permitted near the PCs at any time.
- Covered beverages and light, dry snacks are permitted in most areas of the library.
- Please note that noisy, messy and strong smelling foods are prohibited.
- It is expected that patrons will throw away trash and leave an area clean.
- Smoking or vaping (NJSA 2C:33-13)
- Improper attire, including bare feet or chests.
- Consumption of alcohol or use of illegal substances
- Intoxication (NJSA 2C:33-2)
- Carrying a weapon into the library unless otherwise authorized by law. Any patron authorized to carry a weapon must notify library staff upon entry that he/she is carrying a weapon into the library. (NJSA 2C:39-5)
- Bringing animals into the library unless, as required by law, they are they are service animals. (See Section 4, page 2, for further detail on this policy.) Animals that are a part of a preapproved educational program being sponsored by the library are also allowed, as well as service dogs in training. "Service animals are defined as dogs (and sometimes miniature horses) that are individually trained to work or perform tasks for people with disabilities."(www.ada.gov/service)
- Misusing the restrooms (i.e. using as a laundry or washing facility). (NJSA 2C:33-12)
- Personal hygiene shall conform to the standard of the community for public places. This will include the repair or cleanliness of garments. Patrons whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to cause a nuisance to others shall be required to leave the building. Patrons are expected to wear appropriate clothing while using library facilities, including shirts and shoes.
- Failure to observe the indications for supervision and/or accompaniment of children within the library as set forth in Section 11.
- Talking loudly, making noise or engaging in disruptive behavior, including the use of loud or offensively coarse or abusive language.
- Playing of audio equipment so that others can hear it.
- Interfering with another person's use of the library or with the library personnel's performance of their duties.
- Running or standing on furniture. Skateboarding, jumping, and throwing objects, playing on step or in entrances. Riding scooters or bikes on the steps, ramps, in the buildings, or in entrances is also not permitted.
- Panhandling or soliciting.
- Damaging library property, including, but not limited to, damaging restrooms, defacing furniture and walls, damaging computer equipment, removing pages from books, destroying landscaping or outdoor fixtures. (NJSA 2C:17-3)
- Stealing library materials. (NJSA 2C:20-12, 13, & 14)
- Threatening or physically harming staff or patrons.
- Striking, kicking, shoving or other offensive touching or threats to do so. (NJSA 2C:33-4)
- Other behavior that is deemed inappropriate or disruptive by the library staff. (Revised 5/2014)
Library privileges may be terminated for repeated violation of any of the above standards and immediately for the following reasons: damaging or vandalizing library property; stealing library materials; threatening or physically harming staff or patrons.
Acts of assault, harassment, criminal mischief, child abandonment, theft, threatening or physically harming staff or patrons, behaving in a disorderly manner, public communication of obscenity, criminal trespass,loitering and vandalism, or other misdemeanors or criminal offenses not otherwise specified herein, shall render any person so acting liable to criminal prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
A. Cell Phone Usage
Cell phone usage that disturbs other patrons or staff is not permitted in the library. We request that patrons turn cell phones to silent or vibrate when in the library, and be considerate of those around you by speaking quietly for brief periods of time. Phone calls that require more extended periods of time will be limited to the lobby, vestibule or outside areas of the buildings. Please do not use cell phones at the patron service desks.