Frequently Asked Questions
Please review the full ILL Policy for additional information.
- Who is eligible to request items through interlibrary loan?Only those with a valid Mercer County Library card.
- How long will it take to receive the item requested?One to three weeks, depending on whether the item is held by a New Jersey library. If it is not, and is only held by a few libraries nationwide, it could take longer than three weeks.
- Interlibrary loan or Request for Purchase?If you are requesting a new book, in most cases we prefer to purchase the item rather than interlibrary loan. Ask the reference librarian, or use this link.
- What materials can be requested through interlibrary loan?We can attempt to get any book, magazine article or non-fiction DVD you might want; we can also attempt to get a book on cd or cassette tape, but only from another New Jersey library. We do not interlibrary loan any other audiovisual materials, nor do we order books we already own. Some microfilm materials can be ordered.
- How do I request an item through ILL?You can request an ILL via our website. Alternatively, you can still request an ILL in person at the reference desk or by telephone (609-989-6923).
- How much does an interlibrary loan cost?Normally there is no charge beyond the .10/page for photocopying, but some academic and special libraries do charge to loan materials and may also charge a higher fee per page for photocopies. We will not attach a fee beyond .10/page for copying without your consent.
- How many materials can I request through interlibrary loan?There is a limit of three interlibrary loan requests.
- How long can I keep the item?Materials can be checked out for four weeks. No item is automatically renewable. Contact the ILL Office (609-883-0245 or firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than three (3) days prior to due date to determine if a one-time renewal of the item is possible.