Anticipated Vacancy - Librarian 1, Hickory Corner BranchPosted 11/07/19
Please accept this notice for the anticipated January 2020 vacancy of the position of Librarian 1 at the Hickory Corner Branch. This full time position requires one evening per week (presently Wednesday) and Saturdays in rotation. The Hickory Corner Branch is open four of the County-observed holidays and Sundays and applicants must be available to work on some of those days.
The Hickory Corner Branch is the largest eastern branch of the Mercer County Library System with a busy reference desk and thriving adult programming. The successful candidate for this position will have excellent customer service skills and willingness to be a part of a team environment while working with a diverse public to provide outstanding reference and programming to patrons.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Providing reference and reader advisory services, searching the library catalog and locating materials, accessing databases and other reference sources, answering telephone reference inquiries, using computers, scanners, copiers and assisting patrons at the public computers with downloading/uploading and printing files, setting up email accounts, and other technical issues. Assisting circulation and Youth Services staff when needed. In a collaborative environment, reference librarians at Hickory Corner assist with collection development, participate in outreach activities, plan and execute programs for adults (including teaching various mobile apps and computer programs), moderate book groups, supervise volunteers, coordinate art displays and create book displays, collect statistics, and produce publicity.
Knowledge of current library technologies and the ability to use the library's automated system, online reference resources, various ebook and audiobook platforms, and Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel is a must.
A MLS/MLIS from an ALA accredited institution and a NJ Librarian’s Certification is required. A full job description can be found on the State of NJ Civil Service Commission website. This title is covered under the AFSCME local 3566 and is a competitive Civil Service title. The 2018 salary range for this position is $37,009-$68,271.
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. The County of Mercer adheres to a strict residency requirement. Residents of Mercer County will be given first priority. Out of County residents will be expected to move into Mercer County within a year of employment. All applicants are subject to pre-employment tests: drug, physical and criminal background check.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward a cover letter and resume to Ellen Brown, email@example.com, or mail to Mercer County Library System, Library Administration, 2751 Brunswick Pike, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Acquisitions & Cataloging, Librarian 2 / Technical Support Specialist 2Posted 10/28/19
2018 salary range: $43,732 to $70,403
Responsible for managing the cataloging of all materials in the Mercer County Library System Catalog. Ensures users and staff can locate books, serials, audiobooks, music, films, and other materials.
Primary responsibilities and skills
- Ensure that all materials in the catalog are accurately cataloged and classified and easily searched. This includes: books (monographs and serials), music CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, audiobooks (various formats). Perform mostly copy and some original cataloging. Determine appropriate treatments for series or multipart items.
- Interpret and apply library standards and guidelines: Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (AACR2), RDA, Library of Congress subject heading policies, Dewey Decimal Classification, OCLC rules of cataloging.
- Update or delete WorldCat holdings as needed.
- Have or develop expertise in MARC formats, searching and managing records in OCLC WorldCat, WorldCat Connexion macro language, and an understanding of Authority work.
- Run reports in SirsiDynix Workflows to import records from OCLC WorldCat and from vendors into the local catalog.
- Develop a detailed understanding of the MCLS catalog record and all its formats (monograph, serial, music, etc.). Understand how WorkFlows records and the public catalog records are related.
- Understand the cataloging and classifying needs of the many MCLS collections: for adults, young adults, and children. Understand the bibliographic and call number/item parts of the SirsiDynix record.
- Correct, merge, and delete WorkFlows records as needed based on cataloger’s judgement. Monitor the catalog periodically for errors.
- Communicate with vendors that supply the library with catalog records. Develop standards for vendor records as required.
- Maintain documentation on local cataloging/classifying practice and vendor specifications.
- Adjust local practice when new type of material surfaces.
- Keeps abreast of emerging cataloging standards, technologies and processes.
- Work collaboratively with the Acquisitions and Cataloging staff, Information Technology, and the branches to ensure optimal access to library resources through the library catalog. Communicate effectively and in a timely manner with all Branches and Departments on cataloging issues.
Both an MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited institution and a NJ Librarian's Certification are required. One of year of librarian experience required, in addition to previous cataloging experience. Students enrolled in a library science program will not be considered for this position at this time.
- The ideal candidate will have good communication skills, both in writing and verbally.
- They should be able to convey involved processes in an easy to understand manner.
- The person should be a person willing to work with others in both the Acquisitions & Cataloging team, but also with all staff of the library, being open to discussion and ideas.
- The person should be willing to learn new aspects of the cataloging job and look for new procedures and methods to be used to improve their own skills, as well as improve the ability of the Acquisitions & Cataloging Department to provide better patron service to both library staff and the general public.
- This is a position that requires thorough attention to detail and the ability to work in a small department that handles a large quantity of work.
- Candidate must be a team player and willing to provide a helping hand to others in the department, yet self-motivated and able to work independently and efficiently.
- Attention to deadlines is mandatory.
- Mercer County residency required. Candidate would be subject to all Civil Service regulations including an Open Competitive Examination.
This is a full time position; the hours for this position are typically 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Part Time Librarian 1, Ewing BranchPosted 09/03/19
Please accept this as notification of a part time Librarian 1 position at the Ewing Branch.
This position supports the branch’s reference department and staff by providing adult services to, and meeting the vast information needs of, a diverse community.
The successful candidate should be enthusiastic; forward-thinking, resourceful, flexible in their availability, efficient, conscientious, detail-oriented, and a self-starter. The ideal candidate should also possess excellent written/oral communication and customer service skills as well as friendly professionalism. Willingness to be part of a professional team environment to provide excellent reference service and programming for adults is a must.
Hours of work include Monday morning from 9 am -1 pm; every other Tuesday morning from 9 am -1 pm; Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 5-9 pm (every other Wednesday from 1-9 pm); and every other Saturday from 9 am - 5 pm. Please note that the Ewing Branch is open on Sundays and four County designated holidays and the candidate must be available to work on some. Both an MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited institution and a NJ Librarian’s Certification are required. This position is covered under the AFSCME local 3566 and is a 19-hours per week position. The 2019 salary range is $20.33 to $37.51. This position does accrue vacation and sick leave, but does not include health benefits.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Searching the library catalog and locating library materials
- Accessing databases and other reference materials and showing patrons how to do so
- Assisting patrons of all ages with information needs in person, electronically, and by telephone
- Using computer, scanner, copier, and projector
- Teaching computer classes
- Planning/assisting with adult programming
- Creating marketing materials (such as adult program calendars and flyers)
- Participating in outreach activities
- Participating in collection development (weeding, selecting library materials, etc.)
- Providing readers’ advisory services
- Assisting patrons in the operation of computer equipment and software and providing appropriate instruction when needed
Knowledge of current library technologies and the ability to use technology, including the library’s automated system, online reference resources, and Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel and Publisher is a must.
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. The County of Mercer adheres to a very strict residency requirement; Mercer County residency is required. Candidate would be subject to all Civil Service regulations. Send resume and application with cover letter to: Ellen Brown, Library Director, Mercer County Library System, 2751 Brunswick Pike, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.