Notary Services at Mercer County Library System
The Mercer County Library System offers Notary Public Services for the
benefit of the residents of Mercer County. The following guidelines will be
followed in the provision of Notary service:
- Library Notaries are scheduled during the Library’s hours of operation. Notary service is not available in the fifteen (15) minutes prior to the time of closing
- Customers seeking Notary service must call the Library prior to their visit to
make an appointment.
- Valid photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary service.
- Notary service is limited to three documents per person, per visit.
- The Library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary must be able to read the documents to be notarized. Library Notaries cannot notarize documents written in languages unfamiliar to them.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the customer seeking notarization must be able to communicate directly with each other.
- Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary service customer. Notary service is not available for Deeds, Wills, Living Wills, Living Trusts, Codicils, or Depositions, as these types of documents can require technical or legal knowledge and is beyond the scope of this free service.
- Although the notary cannot attest to true copies of passports, drivers licenses, etc., the notary will issue a notarized Affidavit of True Copy which places the responsibility on the person making the copy. Please be aware should you require a true copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate with a raised seal, these official copies must come from the appropriate agency.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary service raises any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
Branch directions and hours of operation can be found on the
Mercer County Library Branches' Contact Information
Directions to Mercer County Library Branches
Mercer County Connection also offers notary services
Hamilton Square Shopping Center
Highway 33 at Paxson Avenue
Hamilton, NJ 08690
If you are
seeking Notary Service in languages other than English, or for more complex
documents, these websites may be helpful to you: